Do I need one Open Source License for each project or can I use one for all of my projects?

Kaz January 14, 2015

I have several open-source projects and am interested in using some Atlassian products for them.  Do I need to request one Open Source License for each, or can I use one License for all of my open-source projects?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2015

It depends on how you are going to use the products.

If you are planning to run one Jira, one Confluence, etc, and keep all your OS projects in one place, then you need one licence per system.  (e.g. 6 OS projects, with one JIRA + one Confluence = 2 licences)

If, however, you are going to run completely separate instances of JIRA, Confluence, etc for each OS project, then you'll need a licence for each system and project (e.g. 6 OS projects, 6 JIRA installations and 6 Confluence installations = 12 licences)

Kaz January 14, 2015

Thank you for the helpful answer. I just want one instane for each product covering all my open source projects, but each project has its own home page with each apropriate OS license so I cannot guess how to request one Open Source License for all of them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2015

You can run one instance of Confluence and have totally separate "spaces" for each product. Similarly with Jira projects. I'd take your main Open Source product and request a licence for that.

Tenzing Doleck November 11, 2022

hi- what if I have multiple projects in the instance but only want to make one public? 

Is that possible? We have internal teams who have their own tasks that is not open source related which we want to keep private.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Each space and project can have its own local settings for permissions, so you can make one totally open to the public, another visible to only you and your colleagues, and another visible to only certain people in your organisation.

Like Tenzing Doleck likes this
Tenzing Doleck November 11, 2022

Thank you! 

So not all projects have to be made public - cool! 

Also - Open Source License seems to only be supported for standard plan . 

What happens if I were to upgrade to premium. would the discount no longer apply?

Any suggestions for external user management - With the open source project i want external folks to be able to create , comment and view issues.

What is the most cost effective way ( besides anonymous access) 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

That is my understanding, the open source licence is Standard only.

If you want people to contribute, but not be anonymous, then you'll need to give them an account, which will count towards your user licence account.

Suggest an answer