Do I need both JIRA software AND JIRA ServiceDesk?

swarren_wv October 15, 2015

Hi guys,

as i understand it, you are no longer charging for users (non-agents)? Can I throw a scenario at you to see if I understand?

Department x has 10 agents, 30 customers.

We have to pay for the 10 agents in JIRA Service Desk only? We have to pay for the 10 agents in Service desk AND JIRA Software?

Also what's the difference in Usability between only having JIRA service Desk? What will we not be able to do?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
swarren_wv October 15, 2015

Thanks,

So then if we were doing that scenario in JIRA 7,

We’d need 10 agents in Service desk and 10 users in JIRA?

I presume customer interaction includes some level of email response?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2015

Yes, but Agile and Service Desk are now "applications", so the licences are sort of merged if you want to compare them with the old models. You'd actually want to buy "JIRA Service Desk for 10 Agents", which will handle the "JIRA Core" bit for you. And yes, there's email interaction. I've not played with it a lot (my recent JIRA projects have all been JIRA and Agile, rather than Service Desk, although I've been bugging the boss to widen my range), but https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk/receiving-requests-by-email-747834327.html should get you started.

David Dunaway October 16, 2015

Regarding emails to/from Service Desk, yes, a customer can send email into the Service Desk via some email address you assign in JIRA which handles a Service Desk you've created. Emails sent to that address will become Service Desk Issues. Interaction between the Service Desk agent and the customer will then be done via email updates. The customer can also log into their Service Desk "account" and vie their ticket (and prior ones as well). We've played with it here. It's works pretty well, but still needs some good work to make it a really awesome tool like we've come to expect from Atlassian. There's a lot being promised for future releases that seems promising, but time will tell when those feature are out (ie: better automation, better Service Desk <-> JIRA interactions). hth.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2015

In Service Desk 1, you had to have JIRA licences for customers, but that was quite a while ago.  Service Desk 2 and 3 follow a more appropriate model:

You have three types of user:

• JIRA users - people who will be using JIRA's functionality
  • Agents - people who will be using Service Desk as Agents (they also need to be JIRA users)
  • Customers - people who will be logging calls via Service Desk, but do not use any of the other functions of JIRA.  Customers are free, you don't pay for any of them.

JIRA 7 does change the model a bit, but not the User/Agent/Customer thing.  It allows you to licence "applications" separately from the Core.  Before JIRA 7, if you bought "Agile", you had to match the numbers - 500 JIRA users means you had to buy 500 user licences for Agile.  Now, you can licence the application separately - e.g. 500 JIRA users, but only 100 "Software" licences.

Suggest an answer