Do I need a JIRA core license and a JIRA Service Desk license for the developer role?

We'd like to setup JIRA Service Desk Cloud for a customer.

We use JIRA Software internally and internally hosted. We'd like to give our internal developers access to JIRA SD Cloud (developer role)

My question: Do I have to license a JIRA core Cloud so as to give the developers the necessary access rights?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

Technically, yes you do.

Your Agent licences include a Core licence.  If you want non-agents to use JIRA, they will need Core licences (or Software licences, which also include Core)

If, for example, you bought 3 agents, 25 developers and 10 Core licences, you could have a maximum of  3 Agents, 25 Software users, and effectively 38 Core users because the Agents and Developers would be using their core licences.

Thank you for the clarification. That explains also why one of our developers couldn't get access to JIRA Service Desk Cloud, after my having deleted the associated JIRA Core project and thus having removed the JIRA Core license.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

116 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you