Do I have to migrate to Jira 7.0 first before going to 7.3?

Mark Stern March 15, 2017

According to the last bullet on https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-7-3-x-upgrade-notes-861251109.html, upgrading from JIRA pre-7.0 to JIRA 7.0 first is recommended, before going to JIRA 7.3. 

However, in our case, we are thinking of getting new server hardware with a different OS, so this would actually be a migration of our JIRA instance to a new server. We can do the XML export, backup of attachments and indexes, and then copy the stuff over to the new box. In this scenario, do we still need to start with a 7.0 instance, or can we start with 7.3? 

EDIT: We are on JIRA 6.4.12, with Agile 6.7.12, and ScriptRunner 4.1.3.4. We have a few other small add-ons, but not business-critical like ScriptRunner for us. We do not have ServiceDesk. 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

"Pre 7" does not tell us enough to give you a good answer.

Niclas' answer about Service Desk is right, but there are other considerations

If you are on 6.4 + Agile, you can probably go straight to Software 7.3.
If you are on 6.3, it's a lot less likely to work, and you should not go any higher than 7.1
If you are on 6.0,1,2, then go to 7.0 first
If you are lower than 6, then go to 6.4.14 first, then test a jump to 7.3

And, a lot depends on the other add-ons you have.  Some add-ons will break an upgrade from 6.anything to 7.anything-above-0

Mark Stern March 16, 2017

We are on JIRA 6.4.12, with Agile 6.7.12, and ScriptRunner 4.1.3.4. We have a few other small add-ons, but not business-critical like ScriptRunner for us. We do not have ServiceDesk. 

Appreciate the answers thus far. Perhaps it is safest to go to 7.0 first, and then upgrade from 7.0 to 7.3. Anything I lose by going through that route other than time and effort? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

6.4.12 to Software 7.3 with latest Agile + Scriptrunner 4 is something I'd expect to work quite well actually.

Of course, I would test it first, and the fallback is definitely 6.4 -> 7.0, but one of my team did a 6.4 to 7.3 this weekend and it sailed through fine.  Only hiccup we had in testing was a bug in 7.3.0 that causes a performance issue in some cases, so we took it to 7.3.1 which fixed it.

The main problems we ran into on that one were that the API in 7 changes quite significantly - mostly around how users are coded for, but a lot of older deprecated api calls are also removed.  This means some scripts need updating during the upgrade (the extent of that depends on what you've written!), but the worst case is they simply stop working until they're fixed, not damaging data.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2017

The only loss is time really if you step through 7.0 but since your in such good condition and don't run JSD I would run to 7.3 directly. (Keep in mind the project admin changes for workflows if that comes with).

0 votes
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

If you have the latest Agile plugin and do not have JIRA Service Desk you can most likely go directly to 7.3.

If you have JSD you need to go through 7.0

Suggest an answer