Do I deserve a Dragon Slayer T-Shirt?

Alex Lewis November 12, 2013

Ok so I haven't attempted the Here Be Dragons challenge yet but I'd like to think I battled something akin to the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog - fluffy on the outside, angry with pointy teeth on the inside. I'd like to think I deserve a Dragon Slayer T-Shirt and I'm not above begging to get one. I've owned Stash for a while now and decided to buy JIRA and connect them up, here's what happened...

Stage 1: Install JIRA

Complete

Stage 2: Connect Stash to JIRA

I eventually got this to work with many many many admin logins (this'll make sense in a minute). Once they were connected I disabled Stash's internal User Directory (this is key later on).

Stage 3: Work out why I had to log in so many times and when I moved from JIRA to Stash and vice-versa I would always get logged out.

Well it turns out this was my problem - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Login+and+session+conflicts+with+multiple+Atlassian+applications

In short it's because by default JIRA and Stash both have an empty context root and they overwrite each others cookies.

Stage 4: Reconfigure the Context Paths

So I decided to reconfigure Stash to use "/stash" and JIRA to use "/jira" to keep them consistent.

Stage 5: Fix the application link from JIRA to Stash

JIRA quite rightly complained the it was no longer able to contact Stash so I used the "relocate" option and fixed up the link.

Stage 5: Weep at no longer being able to log into Stash.

Doh! Changing the context paths meant that Stash could no longer contact JIRA, which was the only enabled User Directory (as I'd disabled the internal directory earlier). I.e. I fell foul of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3717

Stage 6: Look at Stash's DB and see if I can fix it.

After some hunting I found the crowd.server.url in cwd_directory_attribute, updated it and crossed my fingers. Thankfully it worked.

Stage 7: Relax and wipe away the blood, sweat and tears.

Complete.

So do I deserve a Dragon Slayer T-Shirt? Please say yes...

Alex

p.s. I realise this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, please don't shout at me.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jens Schumacher [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

You sir, definitely deserve a Dragon Slayer T-Shirt.

Thanks for letting us know about your troubles setting up the products. As you know, we are aware of the issues, but seeing how you've struggled setting up JIRA and Stash certainly highlights the importance to fix them soon.

If you forward your postal address along with your t-shirt size, I will make sure you will get a t-shirt before Santa comes to visit this year. Just send your details to jens at atlassian.com.

Cheers,
Jens

Alex Lewis November 13, 2013

Jens,

That is just awesome, thank you!!

In all seriousness I'd like to add that although I did hit some issues the rest of the process was straight forward and still wholeheartedly believe that Atlassian builds fantastic software/services. The fact that I could log into the database, make some reasonable guesses about the data and fix the issue is another testiment to the quality. Often software vendors try to "mask" the data to put people off tinkering with it and whilst I understand why in this scenario I would have been in trouble and left with not being able to resolve the issue as quickly as I did. If I had got stuck then having the Answers service is fantastic along with the other other support options Atlassian provide.

All-in-all Atlassian has and is doing a great job in all aspects and I'd like to thank you and the rest of the team.

Cheers,

Alex

Suggest an answer