Displaying Only Versions Related to a Component on Component's Page

John French January 13, 2016

All,

I am using JIRA version 5.0.2 and only have one Project allocated for use in my department.  Therefore, we use the Components as each specific piece of software we develop.  I am wondering if there is a way to limit the Versions we see on any Component's page to only Versions related to that Component, i.e.- have at least one Ticket where the Component and Version are selected, esentially linking them together.

Right now we see ALL Versions for the entire Project on EVERY Component page even if they are compeltely unrelated.  On the Component Summary page we see "Versions: Unreleased" which simply lists the bottom three Versions on the Project's Versions list.... why the bottom three? Even when there are no Tickets linking those Versions and Component together?

Once again, on the Component "Issues", "Road Map", and "Change Log" pages we see ALL the Versions.  Is there any way to limit these views to only the Versions related to that Component?  Is there any workaround for this issue so we don't have to sift through so much data when trying to find Releases or Change Notes for a single Component aka piece of software?  Thanks much!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2016

No, Versions are not for Components, they are project items.  If you're using component versions, you're relying on humans to understand which version is for which component, as JIRA simply does not have that relationship.  Versions refer to the project.

You might want to consider splitting your project up into several projects, one per component, so that you do have the correct version scheme.

John French January 13, 2016

If we have several Projects under one Project Category (Im assuming version 5.0.2 has Project Categories but I'm not sure as I'm just a low-level admin) would we still be able to create Tickets that apply to two different Components in different Projects? Because we occaisonally have Tickets in Software A that would affect the release of Software B even though the code isnt actually in Software B. In this scenario, Software A and B would be Components in different Projects but the Tickets would apply to a Version in only one of the Projects. Having separate Projects sounds like it could alleviate our issue but we'll still need the occaisonal link between Projects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2016

Not really, because the components are separate entities in each project (like versions are). You could easily create a multi-select custom field that goes across many projects though. Or you could raise two issues, one in each project (this frees up the teams to work on them separately) and link them together.

Suggest an answer