Display a parent's transition screen when transitioning the sub-task

dorian_intuit May 3, 2015

Hi all,

I have been on a multi-problem journey to figure out some advanced workflow configurations in JIRA. Problem 1 and 2 has been resolved and provided for context. Problem 3 and 4 are still unresolved.

Problem 1:

By default when a sub-task transitions to In Progress, the parent does not transition to In Progress.

Solution to Problem 1 (resolved):

Use the misc workflow and add the transition issue (after the re-index) post function step

Problem 2:

A parent issue has (1) required field on a In Progress transition screen and it is already filled in.

I want to be able to transition the parent without showing the transition screen.

A parent issue has (1) required field on an In Progress transition screen and it is not filled in yet.

I want to be able to show the transition screen in order to fill out the required field.

Solution to Problem 2 (resolved):

Create (2) transitions to the same status. Set conditions (and a transition screen vs no transition screen) on it to check if a value is filled in or not.

Problem 3:

A parent issue has (1) required field on a In Progress transition screen and it is already filled in.

I want to be able to transition a sub-task to In Progress and transition the parent to In Progress (without showing a transition screen)

Solution to Problem 3 (semi-resolved):

On the condition of the transition screen, I can create a scripted-condition (using script runner).

I can then use something like: issue.getParentObject().getAt('description') == null

I can then make OR conditions based on the parent issue type and the required fields for each.

It doesn't scale very well, but it would on a workflow that has a small number of issue types.

Open to better suggestions.

Problem 4:

A parent issue has (1) required field on a In Progress transition screen and it is not filled in yet.

When a user transitions a sub-task to In Progress, I want to show the transition screen in order to fill out that information. Then transition the sub-task to in progress and the parent to in progress. Prefer to show the same transition screen the parent sees and have the data fill directly into the parent and not the sub-task.

Solution to Problem 4 (unresolved):

I know I can show the same transition screen as the parent, but I haven't been able to figure out how to set the data without storing it on the sub-task. I would rather not store the data on the sub-task, but if there is no other way I would and just removing it from the view/edit screens.

Open to suggestions.

Note: I have MISC workflow fields plugin installed and Jamie's script-runner as well.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2015

The fields being displayed on a transition screen are always for the issue being transitioned, which in Problem 4 is the sub-task.  Therefore, you must set the field there and copy it to the parent in a post-function.  If the field is a custom field, and you don't need it displayed (on the sub-task), then you can essentially hide it from the user by removing it from all screens, as you mentioned (though it will still be accessible through the issue navigator and through the bulk change operation).  However, if you really only want it on the parent, you can add another post-function to the transition to clear the field value after you've copied it to the parent.  In this case, the order of the post-functions will be critical.

In general, though, assuming all of these problems relate to the same workflow, it sounds like you may be over-complicating things.  If the parent and sub-task are being transitioned together and are sharing data, then it seems like it may be possible to merge the two workflows/issue types into a single process.

Suggest an answer