Display Sub-tasks in the issue detail, but not on the boards or backlog (how to)

Johnny Maw April 12, 2017

The system currently only allows the user to view sub-tasks from the simple "issue detail view" if a) sub tasks are included in the board filter and b) the sub-task status is bucketed within the existing board columns.

So, if your board columns are "To Do," "In Progress" and "Done," matching your story statuses, you must also align your sub tasks to those columns, and have those sub tasks show up on your board, in order to view the list of sub tasks when you click into the simple "issue detail view" on the board.

I have users primarily working from the Boards and the simple "issue detail view" (rather than working from the full ticket detail), and when they click on a board issue, the simple "issue detail view" shows "there are X sub tasks, but you cant see them because you dont have your boards dialed in correct" (paraphrase).  Those users would really like to see the existing sub tasks, status, and assignee, within the simple board issue detail, without having to view all those sub-tasks on the kanban board.  As stated, the system only allows that sub-task information to be viewed if the subtasks can be bucketed in one of the columns (or backlog).

The fix would be a switch (like the "Epic Panel: Display epics in a panel in the backlog, and not as cards on the board") that allowed the user to "Display sub-tasks within the simple "issue detail view" and not as a card on the board."

With that said, has anyone run into this same issue, and come up with a work around?  I agree with not viewing sub-tasks in the board, but I don't see a conflict in allowing those issues to be available when viewing the simple "issue detail view."

2 answers

6 votes
Volantsoft September 28, 2018

I found another solution. Your main board filter should gather sub-task, but you are able to set sub-filter in board configuration.

The sub-filter should be like

issuetype not in subTaskIssueTypes()

If you have different statuses fur sub-tasks, you should also add their statuses to any column on the board.

Lukas Sklenar January 20, 2020

That worked! TY!

yasuko.toeda February 1, 2022

This is Amazing! Thank you!!!

2 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2017

I never ran into the issue but i also never needed to setup my board like that.  Are you able to work around it by adding a quickfilter that excludes subtasks?

Johnny Maw January 10, 2018

Thanks Randy! This is a clever approach - I'll give it a shot!

Suggest an answer