Display Epics and Stories with JQL

Thomas Hardin December 13, 2019

I know this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I cannot seem to find an answer that aligns with my needs, so I'm going to ask one more time.

My need is to display the results of a filter in a way that shows the Epic, then the linked Stories to that Epic. So, if my filter were to be: Project = XXXXXX and issuetype in (Epic, Story), I would want the results to be displayed like:

1. Epic 1
    1. Story 1.1
    2. Story 1.2
  2. Epic 2
    1. Story 2.1
    2. Story 2.1

Nothing fancy other than how the results are grouped and displayed.

Thoughts? And, Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Manikanth P December 13, 2019

Hi Thomas Hardin,

Try below query...

Project = XXXXXX and Epiclink in (Epic1,Epic2) order by Epiclink

Regads

Thomas Hardin December 16, 2019

It seems like this would require me to add all Epics that would need to be returned. Is this correct? If so, I am not sure it would be beneficial as the results will be quite large. 

At the end of the day, my goal is to simply display the result in a manner that provides users with the ability to view the data in an organized way. 

I may need to resort to a BI report or something, which we have several options to employee.

Thank you for you help. It is greatly appreciated.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2019

Hi,

Have you tried to configure a Kanban Board using the JQL Filter you already provided using Epics as Swimlanes?

References:

Best Regards

Thomas Hardin December 16, 2019

In the particular use-case, a board would not work as the information is needed for more of a report where the order of the results needs to be displayed in a certain way.

Thank you for the response.

Swati Chaudhari November 9, 2022

Hi Thomas, Were you able to figure out how to display Epics and User stories in the filter I am trying the same. 

Suggest an answer