Disabling logs in JIRA

wcms November 20, 2012

In order to reduce the amount of space used by logs, I'd like to disable them. I have checked the JIRA settings and noticed that all of the logs disabled (for example HTTP Access Logs), but I do still get access_log.YYYY-MM-DD files in the log directory.

Also, stdout logs seem to be really big. Is there a way to disable them?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012
wcms November 20, 2012

Hi Nitram!

Thanks for the links, I was able to disable the access logs :) But the documentation about stdout only tells me how to change the location of the files, not how to disable them. Isn't this possible?

wcms November 20, 2012

I have configured the logging trough the tomcat7w.exe, and just left the log dir empty - it doesn't create any stdout log anymore. Do you think this might have some bad effects somewhere else or is that good practice to disable the log?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2012

It's very bad practice to disable the logs fully. Logs are generated for a reason, and if anything goes wrong, you'll need the information that's been put into them.

I'd relocate them to a larger disk to begin with, and then think about turning down the information going in them - the logging and profiling link @Nitram gave you above is where to start - you can set everything in there to a very "quiet" level and the logs will then grow very slowly. You'll then be able to turn if back up if you need to debug something. You can also set the log rotation on the server side to something quite aggressive (maybe keep only 2 days worth of log)

Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

Hi,

I'll go with Nic regarding keeping the log for few days, As I will also suggest the same, instead of disabling it fully. Since it contains important information, tomorrow if your jira is not working, then you can raise a support request in atlassian by submitting the logs. That might help them and keeping the latest logs wont take much space than keeping all the logs.This is my suggestion.

Suggest an answer