Disable the creation of an new issue for a specific type

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2015

Hi,

We want to disable the possibility of creating issues by a specific type in some of our JIRA projects.

There are already issues with this type in the projects and they should remain.

But we don't want new ones with this type.

What are the ways to implement that?

Regards,

Dirk

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2015

No, but there are some (hacky) workarounds.

JIRA doesn't do this at all, it assumes that if you have an issue type in a project, you want to be able to create issues of that type.  Not a bad assumption, but there are cases where you'd like to deprecate an issue type, and there's an old, old, old request to be able to do it, which Atlassian closed with "not going to fix".  There's also a number of cases for "only allow certain types of people to create certain types of issue", but the stock answer to that is "you should be using separate projects for them".  Personally, I'd like to see support for issue-type by group, but I don't think it's going to happen soon.

So, the workarounds:

• A lot of people try to do it with javascript on the create screens.  Rarely works, and there's now so many ways to create an issue, it's pretty much guaranteed to fail
  • The "trick" I've used in the past is to create separate workflows and screens for the different issue types and put something in there to block creation.  The easy trick is to put a mandatory field on an issue type, without it being on-screen, or use the validators to stop the creation.  The problem with that is the users can still get in to the creation process, it blocks them when they commit, not up-front (so I usually use the message fields to put a big warning on screen)
  • The behaviors/script-runner plugin can help you with a lot of this, although I've not tried to do it recently.  I'd start there...

Suggest an answer