Disable keyboard shortcuts in the rich text editor so emacs key bindings will work

Chris K. April 18, 2016

We recently upgraded from JIRA 6.2 to 7.1 and with that came the new wiki-style renderer toolbar. Unfortunately a few of the toolbar buttons have shortcut keys associated with them that will block/overwrite the emacs key bindings. For example, ctrl-k will typically call the "kill-whole-line" emacs however now it calls the "Insert External Link" button. Is there any way to bring back the old functionality? Thanks.

5 answers

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2016

Okay great!  I'm not going crazy.  smile

0 votes
Chris Kast April 19, 2016

Doh. You're right. Not sure what I was seeing but yeah, once I disabled the shortcuts, it worked. Thanks!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2016

Unfortunately disabling the shortcuts has no bearing as it doesn't disable the shortcuts for the toolbar.

Are you sure?  I just re-verified on one of my instances that disabling shortcuts does indeed kill the markup shortcuts as well.

0 votes
Chris Kast April 19, 2016

Thanks for the response, Cody. Unfortunately disabling the shortcuts has no bearing as it doesn't disable the shortcuts for the toolbar. Also, going to a plain text field is not really an option either as we actually get pretty good use out of the markup (more so than the emacs key mappings smile )

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Hey Chris!

There are a couple ways to accomplish this:

1. Each user can completely disable keyboard shortcuts, site-wide.  This can be done by either visiting their profile page, or hitting SHIFT + ?, then Disable Keyboard Shortcuts.  I don't like this solution, as there are a fair number of really useful shortcuts that you'd lose the ability to use.

2. Change the renderer of the Comment field to a plain-text editor, instead of wiki-style.  If you're not familiar with administering fields/field configurations, check out this doc.  And for more information on renders, look at this.  I like this solution because it removes all keyboard shortcuts from the comment field only.  You do lose the ability to do nice formatting and such, but that may be okay in your situation.

Good luck!

Suggest an answer