Disable issue link types (without deleting them)

boerh June 15, 2014

Hi there,

Is there a way to disable an issue link type? For example, we currently have an issue link type "Epic" to link Stories to an Epic. With the new Epic Linking functionaly in JIRA Agile we don't need this link type anymore so I'd like to disable this particular type. If I delete the link type I think I will lose the links for the existing issues. I don't want that but users also shouldn't be able to select this link type anymore when linking issues.

Do you know how I can achieve this?

Thanks,

Hugo

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Unfortunately there is no way to Lock or Disable a link type. However, what you may be interested in doing is what Michael did with migrating issues using the old link "Epic" to the new "Epic Link": https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6539?focusedCommentId=435987&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-435987

Hopefully that helps!

boerh June 16, 2014

Thanks Andrew. That's helpful. There is some work involved (going through the Epics one by one) but it's clear how to migrate the Epic links.

I couldn't find an enhancement request for disabling issue link types. Do you know if there is any? There must be other JIRA users who would like to disable issue link types?

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

I'd imagine there are some somewhere, but unfortunately my Google-Fu didn't reveal any that were still open. It looks like there have been a few with varying degrees of complication, but hopefully the fact that people have put in requests for something regarding a change (or more advanced function) with Issue Linking isn't lost.

Suggest an answer