Disable emails for issues that I create

Jeremy Jarrell November 22, 2015

I create the majority of issues for the teams that I work with.  Even though I've disabled autowatch, I constantly receive emails each time an issue that I've created is updated.  These updates include when an issue is assigned to someone, it changes state, or one of its fields changes.  I do not wish to receive emails about these changes since I can simply see them from the board.  In practice, the only emails I'm interested in receiving are notifications that someone has either mentioned me on an issue or commented on an issue that I've created.

Is there a way to turn off automatic emails for issues that I've created?

2 answers

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2015

To flesh out the answer from Jeremy a little more when an issue is created the following post-function events occur.

1. Creates the issue originally.
  2. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  3. Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.

If you create a hidden user field that is automatically populated between step 1 and 2 (using your favoured scripting language) capturing the name of the user UNLESS it is on a "do not email" list. You can then change the Notification scheme to not email the reporter but to email this hidden user field meaning that emails will only be sent to those not on your list.

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2015

A typical notification scheme includes the reporter of an issue.  If you have the "Modify Reporter" privilege for each project, you could set the reporter to some generic "system" user at create time, so you aren't directly associated with the issue.  Alternately, you could remove the reporter from the notification scheme, but that seems like a bad idea if you are the only specific reporter that doesn't need to be notified of things.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2015

Or, for a more automated/advanced approach, you could change the reporter to this generic user in a post function during the Create Issue transition in the workflow using a custom script that performs the change only if you are the reporter.

Suggest an answer