Disable a user in JIRA

rakhi January 20, 2013

Can we disable the user in JIRA. I donot want to delete it as it has history associated but do not want others to see the user in the assignee or reporter drop down. Any solution ?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

You can deactivate users in the latest versions.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Deactivatingauser

Another option is to remove the permissions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2013

Remove them from all groups and roles - works for all versions of Jira, stops them counting against the license and preserves all their history. You might want to change their name to indicate (has gone away) and their email can be redirected to a null email address.

Like Francois Pinson likes this
rakhi January 20, 2013

thanks Nic ... done and it works now

rakhi January 20, 2013

sry should have mentioned we are using version 4.4 which does nto haev functionality to deactivate the user. how can we do this using permissions?

Jessa April 17, 2021

Hi, I already removed the inactive users but I still can't add new users. Any suggestions aside from upgrading?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2021

You don't need to remove inactive users to stop them counting towards your licence count, just disable them.

What do you mean by "can't add new users"?  What is stopping you?

Jessa April 18, 2021

It says that we already reached the maximum number of users and needs to upgrade. Aside from upgrading, are there any possible solutions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2021

No, you've reached your user limit defined by your licence.  You either need to disable users to make space for new ones, or upgrade to the next tier to make space in the licence for them.

4 votes
tyler newman September 2, 2013

Actually, this doesn't seem to work for me. I'm using the latest version of JIRA OnDemand, and have reached the limit of my user license. When I follow the instructions linked above, I don't see an 'Active' checkbox, has something changed? The instructions are:

To deactivate a user account:

1. Locate the user in theUser browser (seeViewing Usersabove) and click theirEditlink in theOperationscolumn.
  2. In the resulting form, clear the Activecheck box.
  3. ClickUpdateto confirm the change.

However, that doesn't work for me. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you, I appreciate any advice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2013

Yes, this "inactivate user" doesn't really seem to do much.

My original response to the original poster is still valid, try the removal from groups.

Neal Ehardt October 24, 2013

From the OnDemand documentation...

To deactivate a user:

1. Remove Application Access through User Management.
  2. From User Details page in Users administration page, choose Actions -> Edit Groups
    1. Select all Current Groups and choose Leave selected groups

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Deleting+or+Deactivating+JIRA+Users

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2013

Hi Rakhi,

Yes, you can. I believe this feature is exist in current JIRA, please see how to deactivate a user article for more details information. Hope its helps.

Suggest an answer