Disable Lexo Rank (Balancing)

Jens Kisters //SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2021

Hello,

we have a Jira Software Instance that doesnt make use of boards and the ranking feature.

We are examining some issues with failing SQL statements and these problems always seem to be preceeded by this SQL failing (from the postgres log file):

2021-04-19 07:00:37.633 CEST [3323] jira@jiradb ERROR: canceling statement due to user request
2021-04-19 07:00:37.633 CEST [3323] jira@jiradb CONTEXT: while updating tuple (504,154) in relation "AO_60DB71_LEXORANK"
2021-04-19 07:00:37.633 CEST [3323] jira@jiradb STATEMENT: UPDATE public."AO_60DB71_LEXORANK" SET "LOCK_HASH" = $1, "LOCK_TIME" = $2 WHERE "ID" IN ($3, $4) AND ("LOCK_HASH" IS NULL OR "LOCK_TIME" < $5)
2021-04-19 07:00:37.679 CEST [3323] jira@jiradb ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

The docs state

"service status" will bet set to "Balancing disabled" when (among other things) "balancing has been explicitly suspended by Support or an administrator".

My questions:

1. How can i disable balancing?
  2. How can i see when balancing takes place?
  3. Is there a way to disable the whole ranking system?
  4. Can maybe restrict balancing to certain hours?

Edit:
Im sure the cause is not in the rebalancing feature of Lexo Rank, its in what happens inside Jira Software when an issue is created and rank is applied to the new issue (even when a rebalance is not running)

I could also reproduce this for a case with only few issues being created.

Thanks in advance

Jens

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

The answer to 1 and 2 is the same - go see Admin -> Lexorank, it will show you the current status.  You can't really do 2 real-time though - you could enable a bit more logging and see when it kicks off in the application log, but actually knowing when it is running isn't of much use - what would you be doing differently if you did know

3 is a "not really".  The only way to truly disable it is to remove it, which means removing Jira Software and all the other stuff it does, and going back to Core (or Core + JSM)

4.  No, the lexoranking is done when it is needed, and if you don't do it then, you will end up with ranking failures and an inability to use boards.

It would be worth chasing down the database transaction error, rather than blame lexoranking and hence disable Jira Software.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2021

Hey Nic,

a big thank you for your reply!

The answer to 1 and 2 is the same - go see Admin -> Lexorank, it will show you the current status. 

Do you know of a way to monitor this?

How can i suspend / disable the balancing there? i dont see a button for this under admin > lexorank.

what would you be doing differently if you did know

I could stop pursuing the issue if i ruled this out as a source of the problem or we could consider removing jira software in favor of jira core

you could enable a bit more logging

im going by setting com.atlassian.greenhopper to debug, or is there a class specific to lexo ranking?

It would be worth chasing down the database transaction error

How could one trace that?

Cheers

Jens

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

The only way to "monitor" it would be log analysis or writing an app that can track it.  You used to be able to disable the automatic trigger from the admin screen, but that did go away a while ago, as all it did was break things more.

The thing you need to be doing differently here is tracking down the database errors that are causing the rebalancing to fail.  

To track it, yes, there are classes listed, but they vary by version.  Check the list in "logging and profiling", anything related to rank would be worth increasing logging on (then you'll need to do more log analysis).  On the database side, also enable/increase database logging in the same place.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

Deinstalling Jira Software made this problem disapear.

Just deleting the license didnt help though.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

Suggest an answer