Direct database update is not showing up in JIRA UI without restart jira instance.

Shalini Chawla June 20, 2013

I have updated a table in mysql database while jira is running and I the update didn't reflected on the JIRA UI, after restarted JIRA it shown the update. So is there any way to reflect the database change in JIRA UI without restart it?

4 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2013

No no no. NEVER update a Jira database while the application is running.

You might be lucky and hit a table it can cope with, although that's a very small set of cases. In some cases, you need to restart it. In some cases you need to restart and re-index. In some cases, you need to go find a backup tape because you've destroyed the data.

You should immediately stop your Jira and assess the damage you have just done. As Christian says, start by telling us what tables you've amended, then we can tell you what needs to be rescued.

0 votes
naresh veeragoni November 22, 2013

Is it safer to do a datbase update in general while we have the JIRA application stopped and start after we finish with the update?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2013

Please, you have found this question, read the answers. My original answer is still essentially correct - NEVER update a Jira database while it is running.

It's not a case of "safer", it's a case of "completely destroying your system". It must be offline (there are minor exceptions, but later versions of Jira negate the need to use them totally). Stop Jira. Backup your database. Run your SQL. Restart. Re-index. Hope you've fully understood your SQL.

Ahmed Hassan August 23, 2019

How about if we lock the table first?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2019

No.  No.  No.  Please re-read the previous answers and stop trying to botch in some "fix".  There is not one.  

Locking is even worse than just wrecking your data, as you could end up with partial writes on top of the corruption you are already creating.

Ahmed Hassan September 3, 2019

How partial writes are possible if SQL logging is checked in realtime to make sure no transactions involving these tables before locking them

I agree that just stopping jira is the easiest and safest way but I'm not talking about an instance that is used by 10-20 developers in a small company , some global enterprise instance with 1000+ users and strict high SLO where setting a downtime is just not easy like that , moreover it all depends on which table and how hot is it in terms of frequency of transactions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2019

They are not.  If you lock a table, Jira will fail because it has no access to it, and that will corrupt your database.

Please, stop trying to use the database.  Your ideas of how it works are wrong (as you're asking this question, I can tell you don't know how it works) and the volume of transactions is irrelevant because of the indexing and caching.  The only safe way to write to a Jira database outside Jira is

• When you fully understand the data structure (and you'd be surprised by how many people do not)
  • When Jira is not running
  • When you are happy to run a full re-index after any write to the DB before letting the people have their restarted Jira back
0 votes
IshanL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

Yes, because jira caches some data, only it update cache, if you update values via UI.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2013

What table? I wouldn't recommend updating databases while the application is running...

Suggest an answer