Dilemma: Small business, rapidly developing, probably using Jira inefficiently... Please help.

Hi There,

I would like to detail our current dev-process and I will footnote each section with how we use Jira. We have been using Jira for about 6 months now and I need to start streamlining it and making it work for us more efficiently, but am out of ideas.

1). Specification designed and passed to our developers [Jira blank tasks created for each new funtion required and left unassigned for any of the dev team to pick up and complete]

2). Task is "Picked up" by a developer [Assigned to a developer, who marks off his/her progress manually in percentage at the end of every day.]

3). Task Completed [Developer will "Resolve" the task and leave a comment if needed, this will then be re-assigned to "Checked-In". All "Checked-In" tasks sit waiting to be updated to the lates build of the overall solution on our test server]

4). Server Updated [Tasks sat on checked-in for each specific project are bulk updated to a status of "QA"]

5). Our QA operative tests each task individually [Any issues found mean the task is "Re-opened" and assigned back to the developer who comittedt he work. Relevant comments added. Any new bugs are raised as seperate tasks]

6). Tested & Complete [If tasks are succesfully tested they will be marked with a status of "Tested" by our QA team, then patched live to our current live version once stable/tested]

At the moment, our main issue can be described as "Throwing rice granules into a fan and trying to catch them all on the way back out". We have limited QA resource so there is a bottleneck and tasks hover around4/5 (as above) for a long time. I think we can simplify or fortify our use of Jira in a few ways. Our current downfall is the reporting aspect, we have no reports set up and the only notifications we have are the standard ones sent when tasks are picked-up/completed etc.

I was looking at Greenhopper (Jira Agile) as this would help us very much, but we are far from an Agile development cycle.

It would be useful to know how others have used Jia in their organisations, as although we may know our software within our business I think we have run out of ideas in terms of Jira management and development of our lifecycle using this technology (We run the risk of getting "set in our ways"). I have heard that some businesses add the initial task to Jira with User-stories and develop around that? That would be worth finding our more about. Also, perhaps using a header task for the functionality and sub-tasks for the breakdown of each bit of work required?

Your help ideas no matter how constructive would be very beneficial.

1 answer

Hi Colin,

you can email me at pcgamer2426@outlook.com and I can help out further.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,314 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot