Different default reporter when creating a ticket from Slack

ohad.oliver March 15, 2022

An inquiry regarding Jira Cloud/Slack integration.

When creating a ticket from a Slack message message shortcut (see screenshot), the created ticket have the user creating the ticket as reporter.

We would like it to be changed for the user writing the message which was turned into a ticket to be the default reporter.

Can we process that change somehow? Would appreciate for a tip

Documentation:

Create issues from Slack (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/integrate-jira-cloud-and-slack/)

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2022

Hi @ohad.oliver 

I do not believe that is possible. 

Jira and Slack have different users (and user id values), so to do what you would ask you would need to somehow add the desired Jira user account ID in the message, and perhaps parse that out with an automation rule.  That would be quite cumbersome and error prone to type in that account ID value.

And after the implementation of GDPR compliance in Jira, I believe it is no longer possible to pass the user's name in the message to get their account ID (possibly also in an automation rule with the REST API).  If the potential reporters are in a defined Jira group it may still be possible to find the user using a different call to the REST API and then scan by email address.

If I have this incorrect I would welcome any information/ideas from others.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

ohad.oliver May 4, 2022

Thank you for your comment @Bill Sheboy

My idea comes based on the native functionality of the integration - The one creating the ticket via the integration is set as reporter in Jira. That means that such conversion of users exists between the systems.

As a 3rd party user identifier - one can use an attribute which is consistent across all the company's IT systems (For example: Employee ID, Email).

Should be achievable via the APIs.

Anyways I was hoping to achieve that with settings tweak and without another solution implementation. Thank you for commenting !

Like Romain likes this
Romain May 23, 2022

did you find a solution ? 

ohad.oliver May 30, 2022

@Romain 

Short answer - No. It appears that a custom Slackbot is the only way to make it happen.

Long answer - The Atlassian/Slack integration does not seem to include such a feature. Nevertheless - everything is possible with a custom Slackbot: 

1 can build a user database to convert the Slack ID to the Jira ID and utilize API to achieve the requested. Could be a cool project to take !

If you have some code experience and would like to work with me on that - let me know !

Like Furkan Çelik likes this
Furkan Çelik August 17, 2022

Hi @ohad.oliver , have you started to develop the custom app, maybe we can work together to do that, bcz i also need the same thing :) 

Ashley Lin Brintle March 22, 2023

Hi @ohad.oliver , just curious did you guys create this custom Slackbot? Thanks!

ohad.oliver April 24, 2023

@Furkan Çelik @Ashley Lin Brintle 

I haven't had a chance to tackle this project yet.

If you guys want to collaborate on building one together - email me on ohad.oliver@gmail.com

Like Ashley Lin Brintle likes this

Suggest an answer