Different assignee to one issue (ideally in different roles)

Christian Best November 14, 2012

Is it possible to assign different user to different roles for a user story. So i would like to assign a developer, a quality manager, a reviewer and another role to one ticket / issue.

This first part has not been an answer until now. Is there a way to assign different people to an issue? Or is there always just one person how is assigned to an issue?

Maybe my questions will be clarified, if I describe a scenario. After creating a ticket our tickets are first in the product backlog. When we decide to solve an issue (user story), we put it into the sprint backlog (so we do a transition from the state "product backlog" to the state "sprint backlog". Then during the sprint some developer will pick the story. So he will assign himself as developer to the ticket. Not so typically for Scrum we have a quality gate. So when the developer finished his worked, he will move the issue to the state "quality gate". There a quality manager looks at some metrics and does the next transition. So there is a developer for this story and also a quality manager. Ideally the quality manager should get an email, when an issue for which he is the quality manager is put into the quality gate. After that state there is a review state where we need a reviewer and also the developer. Ideally Jira will created automatically a review for the issue in Crucible, when a ticket moves from quality gate to the "review" state.

They all should have different rights for the issue / ticket. The developer is allowed to change the ticket from "Open" to "In Progress" and to "Quality Gate", only the quality manager should have the right to move the ticket from "Quality Gate" to "Review" and so on. This last part has been answered.

How can I model this in Jira?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2012

Jira's assignee field is best thought of as "the person who currently needs to do something about this issue", and has only one value at a time. This is clear, but a bit annoying in some cases, because you do need multiple people involved

I would build on top of Ahmed's answer by

1. Add user-picker fields - one for developer, one for reviewer and one for quality manager. Consider multi-user pickers for them, if you want to have more than one person in each role
  2. In the workflow, use conditions like "user must be in the developer field"
  3. Also in the workflow, think about using a plugin that provides "copy field" functionality to automatically change the assignee. For example, if you have a transition like "development complete", then you might want to automatically change the assignee from the current developer to whomever is in the reviewer field.
Christian Best December 4, 2012

about 1. This multi-user pickers seems to be what I need. Where can I find them? Is there a good tutorial how to configure multi-fields?

about 3. Which plugin provides such functionality? And here again the question for a good tutorial.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2012

1. Multi-user pickers are a field type distributed with Jira off-the-shelf. Unless you've disabled them in the system plugins, you'll find them on the list of types available when you use "create new custom field"

3. I think there's one in the Jira Misc extensions plugin ( https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/292 )

I'm not sure either of those need "tutorials", they're both standard - the first is well documented and there's not a lot more than "add a new field". The second is covered by "installing a plugin" and "using post functions in workflow"

Christian Best December 4, 2012

For the 1. point i used this one: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field#AddingaCustomField-AddingaCustomField

I'm almost happy with the solution. I guess it is solved, because all is working, but I would be much happier if to the custom field only users with a specific role could be assigned. At the moment every body can be assigned as a quality manager.

1 vote
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2012

Hi Christian,

From the stated requirement, I understand that you would like to have different user roles to be able to execute different workflow transitions. Since this is the case, then perhaps Workflow Conditions may be able to suit the requirement here, whereby it allows us to control which users/groups/roles are able to execute a workflow transition. More details on this can be found in the following documentation:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Applyingconditionstotransitions

Though it's not much, I hope that the info helps.

Cheers.

Christian Best November 24, 2012

Your answer has solved half of my problem. But I need also some way to assign a developer and a least a reviewer to a ticket. It will be nice, if it is possible to assign also a quality manager to the ticket.

Suggest an answer