Differences between the Service Desk Add-on and the new Service Desk

Keith November 9, 2015

We were using the Service Desk add-on before Atlassian release the Core, Software, & Service Desk "thing".

I have a few questions:

1. Previously each service desk had an associated "project". Is that now no longer the case?
  2. Previously there were severe restrictions and hefty prices associated with adding engineers to service desks. Is this still the case?
  3. Previously you could add a service desk to an existing project. Is this still doable?
  4. If 3 is not doable, can a project be converted to a service desk?
  5. Is there documentation that helps us former service desk add-on users learn the differences?
  6. Why weren't existing service desk customers contacted and made aware of these massive changes before the upgrade?

Regards, Keith

2 answers

0 votes
Keith November 9, 2015

Hello,

I'm sorry but I've read through the "awesome" documentation and cannot find how much each "agent" will cost.

Also, since the old way of having a service desk directly related to a project does not seem to be the new paradigm I'm wondering how I can have a ticket come in via the service desk and then have an agent create a related ticket to an engineering team to work on and resolve. NOTE: I do not want to have to pay double for all engineers to be "agents" as well...

Regards, Keith

0 votes
Jared Dohrman [Design Industries]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2015

Hi Keith,

1. JIRA 7 now has three types of projects, one being a Service Desk project. You can set the category under Tools > Projects
  2. If you have 'engineers' that are only using Service Desk, you can assign them as an Agent to the project. You only have to pay additional prices for Agents. Customers are free
  3. Refer to 1. Configure the project category to Service Desk (or create a new Project and select Service Desk)
  4. Yes, Refer to 1.
  5. Here is some amazing documentation regarding JIRA 7 - https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7
  6. I'm unable to answer on behalf of Atlassian here, but I would suspect that few people had signed up to the JIRA updates email newsletter. (after logging in, there is a subscription box that appears)

Thanks,

Jared.

Suggest an answer