Difference between local and AD users as Jira system administrators

In our Jira setup we have one local user and few AD users that are part of group with JIRA System Administrators Permissions. We noticed that AD users as administrators have less permissions then local Jira user.

Is that normal behaviour? If it is, can it be changed?

7 answers

1 accepted

It was a misunderstanding. I have found no more differencies.

Are they all execatly in the same groups, roles etc.? Other than that there shouldn't be a difference...

Perhaps it would help to know what permissions are they missing and how are those permissions granted (to whom)?

No, is not a normal behaviour ... check the local user group

I am sorry for delay.

It was misunderstanding with my colleagues.

Yes, there is a difference: you can't edit AD user directory when you are logged in via AD. Jira gives warning about this and that is a rule. I haven't found any other difference.

No more differences has been found.

Well a Jira Admin that comes from LDAP will have less permissions regarding User Managment. It will not be able to change the LDAP directory, since he is part of it.

What other differences have you noticed? Something missing on the Jira Admin panel maybe?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot