Difference between Original Estimate and Estimates in Jira Portfolio

Vineet Kumar October 13, 2017

In Jira portfolio we have two estimate specific columns and i am finding difficult to differentiate among them. Can someone please help me to understand? Please have a look into the attached screenshotEstimates.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2017

Hi Vineet,

I believe this difference came about in Portfolio because of this feature request:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1354

The Original estimate is helpful to understand how much time was originally thought it would take to complete a task.  However the current estimates might not always be in line with that original estimate. It could be things change and now the estimate is significantly less or more to complete that task.  Or it can be that a user has logged time against that issue in Jira and in turn the Estimate is getting reduced as time goes by.   This view though can be helpful to understand where we started on this issue, and how much further we have to go.

Vineet Kumar October 20, 2017

Hi @Andy Heinzer, Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. 

Like Development PCS likes this
5 votes
Christoph Baumeister February 21, 2018

Hi! I have found this question, but still do not understand how I should use those two columns. Where should I put my estimates? Which of the columns will be adjusted (and how)?

Suggest an answer