Development Component to track Software team progress

Steve Eckard August 8, 2016

I would like to use JIRA for business project management purposes where by I track progress on tasks within various departments in the business (legal, finance, marketing, development etc.). 

Our development team follows Agile and currently uses JIRA to track their progress.

As project manager I would like to have a Component called "Development" in my Business Project board which duplicates all the existing stories from the Software Project board related to the same project. Is that possible?

Our product is heavily reliant on development and I would like to be able to view the "Development" component on my board and see the amount of issues remaining and possible even a release burndown.

1 answer

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

Hi @Steve Eckard

Rather than having a "Development" component, I would suggest you to have a "swimlane" instead which would contain all the issues from the Software project board. As component is something which you add to the issues thus there is no point in editing the Software issues instead you add a swimlane in your board which displays all the Software issues. 

JIRA boards can fetch issues from multiple projects based on complex JQL thus if you write the right JQL then you can get Software issues and then have a Swimlane configured based on source JQL itself.

Suggest an answer