Developers can't edit cases after service desk 2.0

Chris Smith October 1, 2014

I updated our JIRA Service Desk to 2.0 with the new pricing scheme. I then created our first Service Desk via the option "Enable for existing project". Since then my developers can no longer edit cases in the JIRA project nor can I assign them cases in the JIRA project. All my permissions appear to be configured correctly and all the developers were automatically added as Collaborators. I do see that Collaborators cannot edit service desk issues but it appears that ALL issues (even those I as the admin create within the JIRA project) are considered service desk issues now. This is not at all how I expected this to work. I expected cases created by customers would be in the Service Desk queue and that we'd have business as usual for the project queue.

Is there some configuration that I'm missing?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2014

Hi Chris,

No, you are not missing some configuration. This is how Service Desk 2.0 works. I went through exactly the same.

As a project is turned into a Service Desk project, the agent/collaborator scheme supersedes any other permission scheme that was associated with the project. This renders your project useless for your developers, as they are now collaborators and can only comment on issues, regardless if those issues are coming in through the Service Desk or not.

I ended up creating a new project for Service Desk and clone issues to my existing "development" project if necessary. So my agents are in charge of customer communication and they call in help from development through cloning issues to another project. When the cloned issues are resolved by development, they update the original issue again. I automated this process using script runner. It is working for us now.

Coming from Service Desk 1.0, this definitely was not what I expected when I upgraded to the new pricing scheme. I had a discussion with Atlassian Support on this and they referred me to the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/How+JIRA+and+JIRA+Service+Desk+Work+Together, stating that:

Create a service desk for an existing JIRA project - This option is ideal if you've already been using JIRA in a help desk capacity

So, from this you should read that if you use your JIRA project for actual development, than you should not create a service desk for that project.

Regards,

Geert

0 votes
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

This is big draw-back for the product and unexplainable how Atlassian came up with this permission concept that is far from how service teams work, specifically in large corporations.The only obvious reason is to sell more agent licences. It is very sad and disappointing to watch Atlassian go this path of losing touch with their customers and reality after being so successful in serving both on their way up.

We have disabled the product and will not continue using it until this is fixed and permission control is given back to us users.

You might want to follow and vote on this issue:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-931

0 votes
Chris Smith October 1, 2014

Thank you for the detailed response. I will have to go back to my client and revoke the Service Desk access I gave them and start over again with them as I can't render my 6 month long development JIRA project useless.

Suggest an answer