Developer role in Jira Service Desk

Romer Ventura October 25, 2017

Hello,

I've recently started to notice all agents under People are being assigned the Developer Role... Why is this happening? I've checked the permission scheme and Developer role is not listed anywhere. Under System security > Project roles, clicking on Developer says it is not used or associated anywhere.

Not sure how Developers role is being automatically assigned..

Is it just me?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2017

Developers is a role that is typically found in all Jira installations, not just Jira Service Desk.  However by default Service Desk isn't using this role.   There are scenarios where you might want to add other Jira Core/ Jira Software users into that role for a JSD project so that they can view and internally comment on these customer issues.

On that page, System-> Security -> Project roles.  If you click the link for "Manage Default Members" for that Developers role, do you see any usernames/groups listed here?  That would be one possible way that users could be added to a role automatically.

Romer Ventura October 27, 2017

Hi, 

Yeah, i've checked all that and it is not being used for anything nor does it have default members. That's the strange part. I can remove the role from the JSD and it just comes back. 

All the security schemes and notifications associated with the JSD project do not have the Developer role anywhere. 

James H June 18, 2018

I have the same problem.  I see no-one replied to Romer's last message.  Can someone from Atlassian respond?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2018

Is this Cloud or Server?  If Server, what version of Service Desk is this?

If this is Jira Cloud, have you recently changed which users have Application Access to Service Desk?   If so, then I can see a scenario where your Agents won't be able to be in the 'Service Desk Team' project role unless they are also in the application access for Service Desk.  Because of this, it is possible that they would have been instead added to the Developer project role.

However this is mostly just a hunch at this point.  Either way, I would still recommend checking out that documentation to understand what your default access is set to for this site.

James H June 18, 2018

Thanks for responding Andrew, it's Server 3.11.0.  I recently disabled default application access for all 3 applications.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2018

For Server, you'll instead want to review the server doc about Licensing and application access.

The developer role on a service desk project is expected to be for Jira Core or Jira  Software users that can collaborate on Service Desk issues.   However in order to respond to customer requests in a Service Desk project, users (aka Agents) will need to be in the Service Desk Team project role AND the user group that grants application access to Service Desk.

lececere January 6, 2020

@James H , @Romer Ventura  - we're finding this same thing happening on Jira Data Center. Were you able to find out why Developers were being automatically added?

Suggest an answer