Details page - fields showing up (Dev Status)/Editing

DanaW April 22, 2014

Hi,

1. We are using Jira OnDemand. I want Dev Status to show up in the details screen after development has started. However, if I add the field to the details view screen, it automatically adds it to the "create issue" screen. Is there a way to add the dev status to the details screen but not have it be a field in the create issue screen?

2. My second question is with editing - is it possible to have different edit screens in different transitions or is it always the same edit screen?

2 answers

0 votes
DanaW April 22, 2014

Hi Nic,

So I created a new screen "view" and configured it. I then assigned it to the view scheme. While the create and edit schemes worked, the view screen hasn't changed anything. Any thoughts?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014

There are four different places screens are used - the answer to both of your questions is basically "yes, you need to separate them out"

First, the easy ones - there is a "screen scheme" which tells Jira which screens to use for CREATE, EDIT and VIEW issue. It sounds like your setup is such that at least View and Create are currently using the same screen in the screen-scheme. Split that out...

The fourth place is in the workflows - this answers your second question with "yes". Each transition can use a completely separate screen. Doesn't have to be the same as create/edit/view or any other transition.

DanaW April 22, 2014

So you are basically saying, if I want certain fields to show up when the issue is in one status (i.e. Development), but not in another status (i.e. Testing), then I need to create a different screen for each status?

Also, are the fields associated with Edit/View the same? So if the field is not part of the Edit screen, then I cannot change it from the View screen..although I may have added it from another screen/status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2014
That is absolutely NOT what I said. Screens go with transitions, not status. The status is irrelevant. And on the second point too, no. You are using the same screen for two actions (view and edit). Separate them so you have one screen for view and another for edit. And maybe a third for create.
DanaW April 22, 2014

Hi Nic,

So I created a new screen "view" and configured it. I then assigned it to the view scheme. While the create and edit schemes worked, the view screen hasn't changed anything. Any thoughts?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2014

You probably haven't done what you think you have. Although the view screen will always display system fields. Try rearranging the custom fields and checking the screen - if the *custom* fields move as you configure them, you're done. If they don't move around, then you'll find you haven't managed to get the screens into the right screen scheme(s)

Sorry, I also meant to say here - screen schemes are a pain in the neck. Once you get to grips with them, you can get quite a lot of power and flexibility out of them, but they're really not obvious, and I'd say they were the hardest part of learning Jira admin for me. I get a bit flippant about them because my struggle to learn them was a long time ago, and I forget they're really not funny when you first run into them.

Suggest an answer