Detailed instructions for installing and configurating Jira Server for a webserver on Win2008R2

Christopher Hähnel March 4, 2015

Hello there,

our company tested JIRA and decided to implement it in our soon-to-be BI-System. Now it is my job to accomplish this asap. My problem is, that I'm not really into this server-and-network-thing so I'm looking for a detailed Tutorial to do this.

Our company has a virtual Server with a Win2008R2 container. The connection to the server desktop is made via Remote Desktop. For now we are able to work with JIRA through this RDC. We aim to use it over the internet. As far as I know I have to set up a webserver for this.

My starting questions are:

Is it possible to configure a Virtuals Server to a webserver?

Do I need Active Directory Domain Services for this, because installing this is crashing the JIRA System in place.

I triped over Apache Tomcat and guess I need it to accomplish the whole thing. Isn't it already integrated into the JIRA Server installation?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015

Yes you can install JIRA on a virtual server and win 2008r2 is supported

The are many things to check why JIRA might not be starting.

1) VM too small
2) VS too small
3) ports already in use

Yes tomcat is preinstalled if you use the correct installation package.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015

Whatever way you create users is fine. Active directory is not required.

0 votes
Christopher Hähnel March 4, 2015

Hello Norman,

thx for your answer. So do anyone know a detailed tutorial for this issue? A step-by-step Tut would be fine.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2015

Not really. The normal directions really do work. I generally triple the VM memory as well as the physical server to make it less likely to run to run into issues. You need to consider all applications running on the VM as well when determining memory size.

Suggest an answer