Deploying document management (DMS) on Jira, Confluence

Denis Emelyushin July 3, 2012

Have anybody customized Jira or Confluence for the purposes of document management system?

It should support the basic functions, like storing documents, making workflows and tasks for different types of documents, setting access rules and so on.

I want to hear about real case studies and some advices to do or not to do.

10 answers

10 votes
Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

Hi Denis,

please take a look at Smart Attachments for Confluence. It provides all the essential tools for document management in Confluence and neatly integrates with the native functionality.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop an email at vrutkevich@stiltsoft.com.

Thanks.

Sincerely, Vadim

5 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2012

AppFusions has packaged integrations into a number of DMS or DMS-like repositories - Alfresco, Box, Google Docs, Dropbox to begin to tackle this scenario.

See the videos on the marketplace:

We've also created JIRA integrations with same flavors.

Atlassian also has the Sharepoint connector of course,

Further - Aresenale has a plugin that also provides attachments checkouts functionality.

Try these out on your staging system (best practice for trying any plugin/integration), and let us know what you think.

You can also contact me direct at ellen@appfusions.com

Best,

Ellen

2 votes
Deleted user March 23, 2018

An old question for sure, but we have a new app that addresses the challenges of document management in Confluence that bears mentioning here: Scroll Documents

It introduces a new type of content between pages and spaces, which is a perfect fit for managing multi-page documents.

By enabling indexing, filtering, change tracking, versioning, and more, the functions requested here (document storage, workflows, permissions access) can all be performed directly in Confluence.

The K15t Software team is always reachable for questions at support@k15t.com

I hope this is helpful to others looking for Confluence-based document management!

-Davin

1 vote
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2014

Take a look on the Documents for JIRA add-on: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stonikbyte.jira.plugins.project-docs-plugin

Documents for JIRA lets you manage and store files in JIRA on a project level. It enables key-features of an advanced document management system like folders hierarchy, file uploading, version history, permissions and many more.

For any questions about the Documetns add-on, please contact support@stonikbyte.com.

0 votes
IDBWM July 8, 2018
0 votes
IDBWM November 3, 2014

What we are looking for is a complete redirection and configuration of the document management scenarios into a scalable CMIS based content repository like Alfresco. To have all the documents stored outside the space of the Confluence application and rather offloaded into a real DMS system based on an ECM architecture and strategy. 

0 votes
Maros Hedera February 24, 2013

Hi Markus,

I am planning to use Jira for task and document management as well. What are your plans now? Do you consider to use Jira with some add-ons?

MfG,

Maros

0 votes
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2013

Hi Ellen,

We are currently using a dedicated DMS system (KnowledgeTree), but need to change this DMS-tool.

In course of evaluating/checking the DMS market against our DMS requirements we naturally try to match as well our Confluence instance. As it di not fit too much I was posting the questions from above whether someone could give ideas on filling the Confluence-gaps-towards-an-DMS-system.

Regards /Markus

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Right - fully understand. Good luck with that.

Cheers, Ellen

0 votes
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2013

DocMiner is a good solution to manage documents providing and state of the art intgration with JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint and Subversion out-of-the-box. The major difference between DocMiner and most of the other DMS is that DocMiner deals with the CONTENTS rather than treat documents as bricks with a workflow:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1210854

0 votes
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2013

Old question...but anyway.

I'm as well very interested to configure Jira or Confluence as DMS with on-board-features or plugins only...i.e. no integration with an external DMS.

We curently use a dedicated DMS-tool but need to change this...As we use Jira and Confluence discussion are ongoing whether we could taylor these instead of using another separate tool.

Ellen, from your list above only Arsenale Lockpoint would be in this category.

Any other idea?

What I'm specifically missing from Confluence (or did not find yet) are these features:

* Option to have an approval workfllow

* Unique document id for attachments (we got used to just refer to an id (e.g. DOC-1234) when sharing, discussing,...)

* Fixed set of metadata per document (current option of using page-templates when generating new pages does not really work, as these templates are just used during generation; later updates are not reflected on derived pages).

* Full text search with attachments

Grüße/Regards,
Markus

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2013

While I respect your question and desire to do this - my opinion is that there are reasons that there are:

• DMS companies (like Alfresco, Box, SharePoint, Documentum, and arguably Google Docs and Dropbox) and
  • less-structured or more flexible document management/content companies (like Atlassian with Confluence wiki or other CMSs like Drupal, Magnolia, and many others)

Both "types" of solution vendors are addressing complex content management problem/feature sets with differing (and sorta overlapping) customer mindsets when you consider implementing and supporting these features - even at the base CRUD level - let alone search, workflows, versioning and history maintenance, and more.

The engineering solution for managing wiki pages compared with physical files is very different. SImply.

Which is why we offer integrations.

Get Best of both worlds - by bringing them together. And don't minimize either side of the solution picture/needs, and supportability at the engineering / product development side.

Thats just my opinion on this.

IDBWM November 3, 2014

What we are looking for is a complete redirection and configuration of the document management scenarios into a scalable CMIS based content repository like Alfresco. To have all the documents stored outside the space of the Confluence application and rather offloaded into a real DMS system based on an ECM architecture and strategy.

Suggest an answer