Deploying System snapshot does not deploy the user directory

Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

The system where the system snapshot is taken from has a user directory other than the internal. On a blank server I installed JIRA and deployed the system snapshot. Unfortunately, the user directory is not deployed. Is this a bug?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2015

Hi,

Thank you for using Configuration Manager - the top selling admin tool for JIRA!

What you describe is working as intended - CMJ does not include user directory configuration in snapshots as such configuration is considered specific to the JIRA instance. User directory management, as well as other system configuration options need to be controlled by the JIRA administrator so such configuration is not affected in any way when deploying snapshots with CMJ. 

If your test instance is configured with the same LDAP system as the production system, Configuration Manager for JIRA will not create any new users in the internal directory.

Let us know if you have any further questions or feedback! You can also reach us at support@botronsoft.com.

Petar Petrov

CTO, Botron Software

0 votes
Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2015

Hi Nic. Thank you for answering my question, but I think you don't understand me. The existing JIRA server has configured an external user directory (connected to ldap). All users created (except for the admin user) are external users. With the deployment, all users are created, but they are connected to the internal user directory.

The user directory configuration can be done within JIRA and is stored in the JIRA database. Same is for the email configuration. This is configured within JIRA, but will not deployed. If you like, I can give you the table names where the data is stored in JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2015

Yes, that's correct, I understood you fine. You need to hook up the test system to LDAP to enable it to work the same as production.

Like Bert van Dijk _TMC_nl_ likes this
Larry Dickstein January 4, 2023

We are using the Configuration Manager for Jira to migrate our data to Data Center. Does the tool migrate our user ids and will it migrate and populate our customer user groups? We did an initial data migration to test, and it does not. We are also using AD/LDAP.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2015

No.  If a system is using external data (e.g. an external user list), there's no way that data can be pulled into an export - there's no way of knowing what the data should be, you'd have to extract it from the source and change it into a format understood by the system and the export/import routine.  

The project configurator works with JIRA data.  If you're using something outside that, you'll need to make separate arrangements to transfer that (in most cases of external user management, the simple blunt way to do it is hook the test system up to the same user directory source)

Suggest an answer