Deploying SIL scripts with bamboo to JIRA

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2015

We use Kepler Rominfo's Simple Issue Language extensively in some of our instances and a couple of the scripts have grown quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone attempted to write SIL scripts locally, deploy them via GIT to Bitbucket and then deploy them from there with Bamboo to the SIL directories within the JIRA file systems. 

Main goal is to better collaborate and govern changes to SIL scripts which directly influence production services. 

2 answers

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2015

Hi Stefan

One of the goals in SIL 3.0 was to push SIL to the rest of the Atlassian family. I actually already have a Confluence SIL plugin (but not ready for production) and we thought a lot to push SIL to Bamboo & Stash as well.

If you have ideas of routines to be created for JIRA / Bamboo integration, please send a mail to our support mail, I promise I will schedule them ASAP.

Unfortunately, we are spending a lot of time in support right now & we have two more JIRA plugins on the pipeline, both which rely on the flexibility of SIL. One of them is documented while it is developed, you can take a look here: https://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/KCFPRO/User+Guide

That SIL Confluence plugin - I'm thinking to make it publicly available, if anyone is interested, BTW. As for the KF PRO (which covers DBCF functionality and a much needed functionality in CFs in JIRA), it is available for anyone interested, including you smile, so just ask.

Have fun,

Radu

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2015

Oh, that opens an entire other can of worms :) SIL for other products! Nice! This question is still about the most enterprisy way to deploy changes and maintain reversibility of SIL scripts. Right now, we are editing the scripts directly in the SIL manager. An alternative would be to maintain a repository on Stash or Bitbucket but then to transfer to JIRA - wouldn't we have to copy&paste from our IDE into the SIL Manager again? Would be best to deploy updated scripts to the respective directories directly. Do you have a ticket for that already in your feature request list? I'm happy to create one.

Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2015

If you have a Git repository associated with SIL Home folder, you have nothing else to do, you have the Git power out of the box. If you want to keep the scripts in a separate repository, Bamboo is the way, but I'm not familiar (yet) with deployments, so I can't guide you on this part.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2015

@Stefan - please create it.

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2015
Christian Brien September 14, 2017

This is an old thread, but to Radu's point, I was wondering if there is a plan to make SIL for Confluence available in the future ?

It would be a great way to extend the integration of Confluence with Jira.

Like Martin Cleaver likes this
0 votes
Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2015

Hi Stefan,

You don't have to do that for conditions/validators/post functions. Every time you're updating the script for c/v/p, we're actually writing the script into a new file. Yes, you have the code versioning out of the box. 

Regards,

Silviu

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2015

Hi Silviu, OK, that is a workaround but have you ever tried to use git / bamboo to deploy sil scripts to JIRA? You do see the advantages of GIT when several people work on the same scripts? ;-) Cheers, Stefan

Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2015

Hi Stefan, I can see some advantages, but usually, these scripts are edited only by administrators, and after you set them up, you will rarely change them. Even with concurrent modifications, with our versioning system, you will not run into trouble because if you override a script wrote by someone else, you can still select a previous version(using 'Reuse existing script' feature). But, if you're going to implement this via Git & Bamboo, let us know, maybe we can add a new recipe in the documentation.

Stefan Broda
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2015

Wouldn't we run into problems when git deploys to a repository but then SIL would expect some file version changes? I assume these are made on the file name level? Is the procedure how changes to a script are written into a new file documented somewhere?

Silviu Burcea
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2015

Not really. Let's assume you have a postfunction with the script a.sil. If you change the script from SIL Manager, everything is still ok(the postfunction is still using the a.sil script with the changes applied). I am using this trick in the development to avoid changing and publishing the workflow. If you change the script contents, the workflow can't detect the change and will use the updated script :)

Suggest an answer