Deploying JIRA on Tomcat

Jake J January 17, 2013

I'm not sure how to deploy the tar.gz I downloaded, it is not the WAR and I do not want to the self installer. I'm running Tomcat 7.

I downloaded the JIRA 5.2.4.1 (TAR.GZ Archive) from https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download?os=linux

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2013

There are only two things you can really download - self-installation and war

The war version requires you to build the war yourself, given the contents of the download. It is simple though - download it, unpack it, make any changes you need, then run "build.sh war" and it will create a set of .war files suitable for various application servers.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Tomcat+6.0+or+7.0

Jake J January 17, 2013

Ok, Thank You. I'll try this, once I do this I can deploy multiple WARs on the same server, correct?

Jake J January 27, 2013

I followed those instructions, however it tells me an error when I submit the setup page with the DB stuff. I'm using mysql.

com.opensymphony.module.propertyset.PropertyImplementationException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:OSPropertyEntry][id,null][entityId,1][propertyKey,webwork.i18n.encoding][type,5][entityName,jira.properties] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO propertyentry (ID, ENTITY_NAME, ENTITY_ID, PROPERTY_KEY, propertytype) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Column 'ID' cannot be null))

I have these logs, I can provide more if necessary:

{

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: jiraLicenseService should not be null!
SEVERE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp]
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /500page.jsp at line 113

==> /usr/local/apache-tomcat-7.0/logs/localhost_access_log.2013-01-28.txt <==
192.168.2.3 - - [28/Jan/2013:04:09:30 +0000] "POST /jiralw/secure/SetupDatabase.jspa HTTP/1.1" 500 13528

==> /usr/local/apache-tomcat-7.0/logs/catalina.2013-01-28.log <==
Jan 28, 2013 4:09:54 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load org.apache.commons.pool.impl.CursorableLinkedList$Cursor. The eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
java.lang.IllegalStateException

}

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2013

The later errors are likely to be caused by the database being broken.

It's possible your database settings are incorrect, but that error implies something is wrong in the settings, as it's trying to do something it can't. You need to read the log from startup to where the first sql error occurs to trace it back. Are there other, similar errors? In fact, any errors before that insert? Can you check the database and see what has been created and if it's fully read/write by the Jira/Tomcat user?

Suggest an answer