Deploy / Install Jira to Microsoft Azure

dirkd July 11, 2012

Has anybody installed Jira/Confluence or any other product to Microsoft Azure?

What VM to use, MS Server or a linux VM. Use a local database or SQL Server hosted on Azure?

Ist there any documentation available?

Any hints /tips are welcome.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
alfie October 31, 2012

I have installed Jira and Fisheye - everything (almost) went flawless.

The biggest issue I am having is to configure the out smtp mail server. I have my initial JIRA installed

in a server at home: it was enough to open the smtp port 25 through the router firewall however, when I try the same on the Azure, it always fail.

Yes, added endpoints to allow passthrough and poked holes in the Windows firewall - for ports 25, 465 and 587 ... still no luck.

Tried gmail and roadrunner (over here in north carolina), no way so far...

So, my installation is unable to send emails, which is one of the biggest points in tools like these.

Any hints are welcome here too.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2012

Mmm, that's a problem with your Azure setup. Nothing to do with the applications I'm afraid. Might be better to ask this in Azure related places?

dirkd October 31, 2012

Thank you for your answer. I leave the question unanswered, maybe others share their experiences.

0 votes
Egbert Frankenberg March 18, 2014

i was able to solve mail through adding the sendgrid add-on to azure. but my problem is how to connect a MS SQL to JIRA in the initial setup. I get the I/O Error DB server closed connection. how did you get around it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

Usually means your connection string is wrong, or your database server is set up incorrectly. You need to fix those, but there's no way of telling what exactly is wrong from the information in your question

Kraig Walker December 7, 2015

You should also check that your MSSQL server (either the VM it runs on or the VM it that's connecting to it if it's Azure SQL) is accepting connections from Azure Web Services. If that's still the case, you may need to add the IP address to the Firewall rules of the SQL Database Server

0 votes
alfie November 1, 2012

Ok, resolved also the email issue: I had to use my acutual userid/password with Road Runner email and match it with the "From" field in the configuration screen. That did the trick.

0 votes
alfie October 31, 2012

oh, yes, I picked the small vm image - Windows 2008, MySQL;

*not* the tiny vm image: just one level above the smallest.

Suggest an answer