Dependent choice in JIRA

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2016

how to configure field such a way that the choice is dependent on other field?

I have a field called "Entity", it has "Alpha" & "Beta" as Value. I have another field called "Sub-entity" should display only those in the drop down based on values what I choose in "Entity".

When I choose "Alpha" sub-entity field should show a,b,c,d and when I choose Beta it should show p,q,r,s

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2016

Is it important that these exist as two separate fields? If not and if the values that appear in "Sub-Entity" are always going to depend on the value chosen in Entity, then I might suggest using the default JIRA custom field type called Select List (cascading). This custom field type gives you two dropdown menus for a single field - the first dropdown would list options "Alpha" and "Beta." Then, depending on which you chose in the first dropdown, the second dropdown would have the dependent values (a, b, c, and d OR p, q, r, and s - depending on which you chose).

The downside to this is that you cannot require the user to fill out both values - if you make the field required, only the first dropdown is required. If you have ScriptRunner installed, you can create a workflow validator when creating the issue or something like that to help ensure users fill out both dropdowns.

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2016

Thanks for information Alex. I will try it

Suggest an answer