Delivery Delayed

Miko Villa December 8, 2016

We keep on getting Delivery Date:[Issue Number] Description from Mail Delivery System, and its quite annoying. It started when we imported bulk issues from our backup. What seems to be the problem and how do we solve this? Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2016

A delivery delayed message from a mail delivery service means what it says.  It can't deliver some mail.

You need to fix that on the mail delivery side.  JIRA has simply sent email that is valid to somewhere.  It's the mail system that's having a problem.

Miko Villa December 8, 2016

Hi Nic, but why am I receiving only the issues that were imported from a particular project? I don't get this from any other projects/issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2016

Because the imported data contains pointers to email addresses that have delayed delivery.

Look at the details of the smtp logs in JIRA if you need to - you will find that these emails going out and giving you problems are structurally no different to other emails.  It's your email system doing this.

Miko Villa December 13, 2016

Could you tell me where the logs are

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2016

The smtp logs for JIRA will be under <JIRA home>/logs along with the application and other logs.  They won't tell you much though - just that it has successfully send mail.  It's your email system doing the delivery thing.

Miko Villa December 13, 2016

Yeah, the logs doesn't tell much. btw, you've mentioned something about the imported data containing pointers to email addresses. Is there any way we can modify the imported data to point to a specific email address?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2016

I'm guessing the backup is xml?  A simple text search and replace would do that before the import.

After the import though, you're going to need to identify which are the problem email addresses, then what fields they're in and edit the issues to swap them over.

Suggest an answer