Deletion of a Jira User?

Bala Krishna March 10, 2013

Hi,

One of our team member left the company. IN Jira he got assigned many issues. What should i do with this user? if i delete him (that is the only option i see) what happens to those issue. Does they get assigned to default user (in our case that is Admin).

pl guide me.

-Bala

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2013

The usual advice is to remove the user from all their groups and roles. The most important things this will do are:

• they will drop out of the "can be assigned an issue" in all your projects (unless you have *really* open permissions).
  • They will stop consuming a licence seat
  • They won't have permissions to do much else, possibly anything at all!

You won't be able to delete the user completely unless you re-assign all their issues to someone else (or unassign them). Most of the time, people don't bother - making a user inactive as above is enough, although it's well worth running a filter for "assignee = ex-user and resolution = unresolved", so you can scan their outstanding work and get it assigned to someone else.

0 votes
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2013

Bala,

If you remove that user's access rights without deleting the account, you may want to check the email address assigned to it, because accounts without group membership will still get email notifications. So depending on the settings of their Jira profile, your ex-teammate might actually keep on getting updates from your issues. Just a heads-up :)

Suggest an answer