Deleting over a million old issues

Ramin Ghanbari May 25, 2018

We have got approximately 3 million tickets and almost 5k tickets are being created daily.

Created a backup instance and also a snapshot of the instance.

Need a way to delete a million issues within a day or over 6k issues during 6 hours.

Already tried:

* Bulk Change: took almost 6 hours to delete 1k issues. Also, reduces performance.

** Mass Delete for Jira: took 24 hours to delete 2.5K

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Any method you use to do this properly is going to either be slow (because you throttle it) or cause performance reductions as it takes resources.

I would also try testing an external REST based script for speed and performance, and if you have ScriptRunner, that as well.  I once wrote a script that looped through issues I needed to delete with a 1 second delay between every other one.  This didn't cripple performance, but was able to delete 2000-2500 an hour.

Ramin Ghanbari May 29, 2018

That sounds nice. Got the ScriptRunner.

Could you please help me with deleting issues matching something like this quary:  "updated <= -365d AND (status = Closed OR status = Resolved)"?

Suggest an answer