Deleting issues as admin

Oksana N January 30, 2020

Hi,

we are using Jira Software Cloud (the free plan). Having read all threads about deleting issues here, I still cannot figure out how to do so in my Classic project as none of the solutions worked for me :( 

I'm logged in as a user belonging to the following groups:

administrators, jira-administrators, jira-user, site-admins.

In Permissions section I can see that such project roles as Administrators can delete issues. 

So I wonder, if 'project role Administrators' is something different than 'group administrators' and I need that project role thing too. 

Also, I like to know if issues will be deleted if I delete the whole project they are related to.

Please advise.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

Hello @Oksana N 

project role and group administrator are quite different. Member of a group is global (across all jira instance), member of project role is for one project.

So in your case, you need to put yourself into the administrators project role to be able to delete issues.

If you delete a project everything will gone, issue included.

hope this helps

Hi, thanks for the response!
I see that I cannot modify project roles with my free jira plan. So seems like at this point there's no way for me to delete issues, right?

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

WARNING: 

When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

hi, thanks for the warning. I know the consequences, just wanna delete some issues created for testing reasons :) 

Joe Ji June 21, 2020

So, there is no way we can delete issues on JIRA Core??

Suggest an answer