Deleting filters

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2013

Hi

i just now check our filters on jira and i can see that there are tens of filters created by individuals who have long ago left the organisation.

How do i now get rid of the filters that have created?

Is there any easy way without hacking into the database?

Rahul

6 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2013

If they are shared filters, an administrator can take ownership and then delete it. If not, you will have to hack into the DB.

0 votes
Christine Diamond May 15, 2019

If you still want to see the ability to delete filters in bulk, vote for the JIRA Feature Request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-68433.

0 votes
Kouros Goodarzi July 18, 2018

We use SharedManager which is a free tool. If you use Server version here is the link: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216249/sharedmanager?hosting=server&tab=reviews

You still need to delete them one at a time but you can delete or change owner as you wish.

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2013

Hi Rahul,

Depending on the column, there would probably be 2 solutions. First would be to delete them in the shared filters window and then find the ones that aren't shared by logging in as the users in questions with the script runner plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Alternatively you can delete them from the db directly, in the ''searchresults'' table. I also recomment that you delete the relevant information from the ''favouriteassociation'' table as a precaution

0 votes
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2013

As of JIRA 4.4.1, you can delete filters from the Shared Filters screen.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2013

Only if they are shared ;)

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2013

That's a valid point, but if Rahul is posting this question, then they must be shared right? :)

If they weren't shared, even admins wouldn't see the filters without looking at the DB.

0 votes
Sharon Shapira December 23, 2013

There is no way to take ownership of the filters while those users are still in the system as users of the instance. You should try to delete the user accounts and then you should be able to control the filters as an admin user.

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2013

I would strongly urge you NOT to delete users from JIRA, but to disable them instead.

I have a client that is still dealing with the results of deleting users from 3 years ago.

Like Arabela Fabre likes this

Suggest an answer