Deleting Tickets

Is there a way to delete tickets in JIRA? We have a bunch of unwanted tickets "test tickets" from when we first got the system. Test tickets were sent to test the system, now we want to remove those from our system. Is there a way to do that?

2 answers

0 votes

Yes, check the permission scheme in the project.

You'll find there's a line that allows you to delete. Grant someone you trust that permission and they'll be able to delete from the project.

Things to bear in mind

1. You might want to allow them "bulk edit" global permission too if there's lots of them

2. Jira deletes are simple and remove the data from the database completely. No going back - the only undelete is "go get them from a backup tape"

3. I mean it about trusting your user to delete only the stuff they should ;-) Most sites restrict delete to the project admins, or even just system admins.

Where would I go in JIRA to find this? Is it under settings?

If you look at the project header/summary information, you'll find a reference to "permissions" where you'll be able to read who can do what. If you are a project admin, and the permissions already say something like "delete is allowed to role X", then you'll be able to add people into role X to allow them delete.

To change permissions, you'll need admin rights.

Where would I go to find this out in JIRA? Is it under settings?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,888 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot