Deleted comments still showing in issue

Roger Bryan September 22, 2017

I'm having an issue where comments that I delete from an issue are being recorded on the thread as a change.  I can not seem to fully delete them.  I'm the project admin and need to remove comments from one of our developers.  Can anyone help?JIRA Comment Change Log Issue.png

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

Hi Roger,

This has come up a few times in the past.  I would take a look at the Communities posts Solved: Is it possible to delete History records of an issue like the deletion of comments and  Is there any way to delete a revision in the issue history?

While it's not recommended you may delete items from issue history, as long as you delete the proper entries from the changegroup table and the changeitem table.  You can review the Database Schema to construct the queries or work with your dba to construct the queries.

In addition, I would make sure to backup JIRA and test any changes in a test instance before attempting to make these changes in production.

Cheers,

Branden

Roger Bryan September 25, 2017

Branden,

Thank you for your response.  I've never accessed the database for our platform.  We've been using JIRA for 2 years and this function just got turned on.  How do I turn it off?

Is the only way to remove these comments through the database?  Any resource on how to access this?

Roger

Suggest an answer