Delete step from workflow

Ecom jira June 29, 2017

I am editing the active workflow that is used by more than 50 projects in jira.

I want to delete a particular step and publish the changes.

But I unable to delete a step from an active workflow.

I simply went to the workflow and gave edit but I am able to add transition and new steps but cannot delete a step.

I want a workflow with the same name .

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

Deleting steps can't be done in a draft workflow.

You will need to

• Rename the current workflow
  • Copy the current workflow to a new one
  • Delete the steps, and make the other changes you need in the copy, including giving it the right name
  • Copy the current workflow schemes that use the current workflow
  • Edit the schemes, replacing the current workflow with the new version
  • Change each project to the new workflow scheme as appropriate
Ecom jira June 29, 2017

Hi Nic,

I have followed the steps.

I have created the new workflow.

Do you want me to change it to each and every project manually ?

I have 50 projects whose workflow should be changed 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

Yes, I'm afraid you have to change the workflow scheme for every affected project.

Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2017

@Ecom, if you happen to have Power Scritps plugin you could write a simple script to switch workflow scheme in all desired projects in one click:

https://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/SIL/admSetProjectWorkflowScheme

Jeff MacDonald May 21, 2020

I just read this and literally all I could say was "Are you effing kidding me?" :)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2020

Yep, it's a long standing and frankly, dumb, flaw in the workflow editor.  Atlassian gave me an explanation of why it is horrible to fix, and said they're not going to invest the time in it because it only affects admins, has a clear work-around and the current workflow editor is becoming less used and also likely to change as projects evolve in Cloud and Data Centre.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer