Delete screen schemes associated with deleted projects

Carl-Erik Kopseng October 9, 2020

In the list of screen schemes we have several referencing dead projects. Like this:

1.png

Should I press the Project Link I get this:

2.png

AFAIK one cannot delete a scheme as long as a project references it. And to remove that link one has to go into project settings. Now that the project is gone, there are no settings ...

This seems somewhat illogical.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2020

You will need to raise a ticket with Atlassian. They will be able to fix the records in the database.

How was the project deleted? This kind of behavior is sometimes seen as the result of a migration. 

I have no idea how it was deleted. I was not involved.

There is a similar situation where the project is archived. Seems I need to get in contact with Atlassian for that as well, as there is no immediate way of finding/opening that project.

This project has been archived

If you want to edit an issue, ask your Jira admin to restore the project.

0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2020

Hi @Carl-Erik Kopseng ,

It looks like indexing problem which could be fixed with re-indexing in JIRA server, but re-indexing has been deprecated in JIRA Cloud. The workaround that I could think of is that

1. Create a Test Issue Type screen Scheme and do not associate it with any project.
  2. You will have Delete option against the Test Issue type screen scheme.
  3. Right Click on the Delete option and Copy the URL. Paste it in a notepad.
  4. Get the Issue Type Screen Scheme ID of the Issue Type Screen Scheme that needs to be deleted.( You can find the id by hovering over the name/edit option of the issue type scheme)
  5. Replace the issue type screen scheme id (From step 3) and open the URL in a diff browser and delete it.

This may work :) Worth giving it a try

Good hack, but no go: "Cannot delete an issue type screen scheme that is being used by a project."

Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2020
Victor Ripplinger November 24, 2020

Hi Niranjan,

The API call returns a similar error: "The issue type screen scheme cannot be deleted because it is assigned to one or more projects."

Sara Polselli April 26, 2021

Hi all.

I may be say something totally out of place but I solved my problem making sure the project was definitely deleted by visiting Settings > Projects > Trash. After that the project associated to the Issue Type Screen Scheme was removed and if the scheme was then empty it could be deleted.

Like # people like this
Kevin Forbes November 16, 2022

Thanks Sara! This definitely solved the problem.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events