Delete a workflow step WITHOUT renaming workflow

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

I simply want to delete a step from an active workflow, but I don't want to end up with a workflow with a new name. I understand from this answer that I have to:

1. create a copy of the workflow,
  2. delete the step in the copy
  3. create a new workflow scheme using the new workflow
  4. reassign the project to the new workflow

The problem with this, is that I have to use a new NAME for the workflow (I can't use the original name because it is still active, and I can't de-activate it because it is assigned to a scheme that is active in a project).

I ended up getting what I wanted, but I had to use the following (ridiculously convoluted) process:

1. create a new temporary WF Scheme (scheme_temp),
  2. create a temporary copy of the original WF (WF_copy),
  3. assign WF_copy to scheme_temp,
  4. associate the parent Project (only one in my case, thankfully) with scheme_temp, thus deactivating the original scheme & the original WF. (This involves a migration step which requires re-mapping the fields on all existing tickets)
  5. make a SECOND copy of the WF (WF_copy2),
  6. delete the step within WF_copy2,
  7. delete the original WF,
  8. rename WF_copy2, giving it the name of the original WF (by making yet another copy of the copy)
  9. Associate the original WF Scheme with the brand new WF
  10. Re-associate the parent Project with the original WF Scheme (requires the migration step again)
  11. Delete all copies.
  12. -- Whew! --

I don't think I'll do that again. If I ever again have to delete a step from a WF, I'll just rename the WF to WF_v1.

Is there any other way?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2014

I use a somewhat less convoluted process:

1. Copy the workflow to be edited.

2. Edit all necessary workflow schemes to use the copy from step 1 instead of the original.

3. Edit the original workflow.

4. Edit the same workflow schemes as step 2 to now use the original workflow again.

5. Delete the workflow copy from step 1.

John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2014

Which version of Jira are you using? I don't get that message in 6.0.4.

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2014

Step 2 is prohibited with this message: "The "Blankety-Blank" workflow scheme is active therefore you cannot change its workflows."

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2014

(Sounds like yet another reason to upgrade) :)

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2014

I'm accepting your solution, which, in effect, boils down to: upgrade.

Suggest an answer