Delete a user from JIRA that has logged comments

Joseph Friedman January 22, 2014

I can't delete a user because they previously logged comments in the stories - do I need to idenitfy each comment and delete or is there another easier option to delete the user?

5 answers

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2014

Also make sure the user not assigned to an issue, is a project lead or is component lead. You will need to change those cases to a different user. The inactivate should then take affect. I say should since I normally do those things before deactivating the user.

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2014

Hi Joseph,

as per Peter's suggestion, you can deactive your user just going to JIRA Administration -> User Management -> Find the related user -> Actions (Edit Details) and uncheck "Active" checkbox.

Using this approach, your user can not login anymore on JIRA and all the operations on the issues will remain on the system.

Moreover, an INACTIVE user will be not counted on your license user limit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fabio

0 votes
Michele Grimm March 20, 2014

This would be handy, but not yet implemented: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1648

0 votes
Joseph Friedman January 22, 2014

I did that but does that still use a license? When I try to add a new user it states that I dont have any open licenses available and the inactivated user still appears in the user group

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2014

Hi Joseph,

You can just make the user inactive (remove the user from all groups).

If you do it like this your history will not be broken.

Otherwise you might be able to write a script to do it, but that's a lot of work.

Do you really need to delete this user?

Best regards,

Peter

Lorne Covington March 18, 2014

Yes, I do - the user is gone and I don't want to bump to the next license! Only two comments are standing in my way.

Seems odd there is no way to see a user's activity, at least then I could find the two comments.

Suggest an answer