Delete Users in Bulk

Alex Valderrama May 23, 2012

24-May-12

Hi,
We're running JIRA v5.0. We copied our production JIRA to development. On our development JIRA, we deleted all projects, groups (with the exception of the JIRA groups), and the users by running a SQL statement against the CWD_USER table. When I logged into our development JIRA, I notice there are over 800 users still listed. All these users are in the 'JIRA Internal Directory'. Please note that since we deleted all projects and groups, there are no dependencies with the remaining users. Even if there were, we want to delete them all.

My question is: is there a special table users in the 'JIRA Internal Directory' are located in? If so, please let me know so we can run a query to delete them. Also, if there is a separate table for those users, why is that? I would presume all users would be in the CWD_USER table.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

It would be safer to use JIRA Command Line Interface removeUser action. Use runFromSql to do it in bulk. Doing database actions directly is error prone and you need to understand all the application's database structure. The dangers of doing direct database actions have been commented on numerously on this site.

Phineas Dashevsky July 14, 2013

your J CLI tool really needs some more documentation as I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the files once they are on my computer. Examples in the documentation would have been really helpful.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

Not sure what file you are taking about. Documentation can always be improved :), but the following are the existing links in addition to the links above:

1. How to
  2. Examples
0 votes
Abhimanyu Gadroo October 31, 2018

I know its pretty old ...  but just in case anyone else is looking for an easy solution here it is ...  :)

import requests
import json
import csv
import getpass
user = raw_input("Username? ")
password = getpass.getpass("Password? ")

from requests.auth import HTTPBasicAuth
url = "%%SITEADDRESS HERE%%/rest/api/2/user/search?username=bk.ru&maxResults=545"
r = requests.get(url,auth=HTTPBasicAuth(user,password))

for x in range (0,len(r)):
    user = (r[x]['key'])
    urlx = "%%SITEADDRESS HERE%%rest/api/2/user?username="+str(user)
    print (str(x)+urlx)
    r = requests.delete(urlx,auth=HTTPBasicAuth(user,password))
    if(r.status_code == 204):
        print (str(x)+str(user)+"Deleted")
    else:
        print (r.status_code)

0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2014

Atlassian does not recommend making direct changes to the JIRA database.

Our recommendation would be to either use Bob Swift's CLI, as per his comment, or alternatively, writing a script and using the JIRA REST API:

The feature request raised for bulk user delete operations in JIRA is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-8047, and you may vote on it to increase its visibility with our developers.

Suggest an answer