Delete User from Jira

Eve May 3, 2014

Hello,

We have had an employee leave and I need to delete him from Jira. When I go to delete user it blocks me because he is linked to issues

Is there a quick way of removing the association of the user so his account can be removed? I'm hoping I don't have to edit all the issues individually to achieve this?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2014

No, you need to edit all the issues if you're determined to remove a user, including deleting all the user's comments.

Most of us don't bother - the standard procedure is to remove the user from all groups and roles, which means they won't be assignable, and won't take up any licence seats, but you'll preserve their history (Some places in Jira look odd and uninformative if you delete users who have assigned/reported/commented issues, and others downright break)

I also strongly recommend setting their email to a "null" so outgoing email is binned, and changing their name to add something to indicate they have left to other users.

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2014

Suggest an answer