Delete Issue option unavailable for all projects in JIRA

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

As the title says, we can't delete any issue in JIRA. Administrators can't, project leads can't and endusers can't. I've tweaked permissionschemes but the button just isn't showing up. We work with JIRA Agile and JIRA servicedesk, is there somewhere else i could check?

We have the following add-ons installed:

Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA

JIRA Calendar Plugin

JIRA Charting Plugin

JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions

JIRA Suite Utilities

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

That sounds like something has been hacked in your JIRA - there's no way to remove the delete option like that.  If you have the permission, then it should appear.  Things to check though:

• I assume you've checked the "permission helper" and that says you have the delete permission, so it should appear under the actions menu in the issues. 
  • I'd also check if you can do bulk-edit (filter for a handful of issues and only select one that you do have the permission to delete), and see if that can do it.
  • Javascript hacks might be removing the button, but they won't affect bulk-edit, so that's worth checking.
  • I'd want to check the system add-on section for disabled modules - that's a bit of a slog, but it might be possible to disable delete by turning off a module in the actions sections.  Not tried it myself, but it might be the problem
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

Thanks for the thorough answer Nic. We don't use Javascript hacks at our company so i'd imagine it's in the system add-on, done by the former JIRA admin. Where would i find this system add-on?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2016

Should be under manage add-ons

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2016

Thank you!

Suggest an answer