Defining standard fields in JIRA

Christopher Barrett January 27, 2014

I have an issue where I define new fields, but if they are not mandatory the do not show up on the default screen. When I click configure fields I can select those fields to be displayed, but I want it to the default 'Create Issue' Screen (For everyone who tries to create an issue). How would I go about doing this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2014

Hi Christopher,

You'll need to check which screen is being used for the Create Issue action in your Screen Scheme.

You just need to add the fields to that screen using the Screen Administration Page of JIRA.

More information about Screen Schemes can be found here :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt response. The field I have created has been associated with the screen and if I make it mandatory, only then does it show up when I click create issue. I however do not want to make it mandatory, but still want people to fill it in if they can on the screen that pops up. Instead of going through 'configure fields'. Any more ideas?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2014

Hi Christopher,

This is caused by the fact that you selected the custom option in the Configure Fields option when creating an issue. As explained here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+an+Issue

JIRA will remember the last way you viewed the create issue screen. So if you change it to All it should be fixed.

Best regards,

Peter

So, in review, there is no way to select which ones come up automatically. Rather the inidivual user logged in must custom select the fields or select all?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2014

Yes that seems to be the case.

But only for the pop-up Create Issue Screen.

If you have the full screen wizard it will simply show all fields.

Best regards,

Peter

I appreciate you taking time out to answer... Thanks

Suggest an answer