Define a automatic assignee on transitions

William Satoru August 17, 2013

We are using Jira and GreenHopper to manage our projects and we would like to make the Assignee of a issue to be automatically defined as "Unassigned" when a issue goes from "In Progress" to "Inspection" for example.

I've been through the Edit Workflow screen and tried editing the Transitions. I tried adding a Condition (it only has 2 options), a Validator (only has options regarding permissions) and a Post Function.

Now, in Post Function there is a line that makes you believe that will work where it allows you to define a field (Assignee) to receive a specific value (Unassigned). I did that and still, when i moved the sub-task, the Assignee field didn't change.

What we want here is to make the Assignee field have the "Unassigned" value on a specific transition, for all our projetcts. Any ideas?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2013

How exactly did you use the post function?

If you use the update issue field post function leave the new value empty (don't use "Unassigned").

One other point that comes to my mind is that you need to set in the JIRA options the Allow unassigned issues option to ON.

William Satoru August 18, 2013

Leaving the new value empty worked just fine. Still don't understand why the "Unassigned" value didn't work and yes, the Allow unassigned issues is ON.

The way it is now is not intuitive right? Since using the "Unassigned" doesn't work and using the empty value leaves the issue Unassigned.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the assist Udo!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2013

Glad I could help.

Unassigned is just a translation of NULL value on database level. But it is only one way (database --> Screen) not the other way.

Suggest an answer